Monday, September 20, 2010

Sleepless in Belltown

I have had no luck being able to sleep the past month. I feel like a drone. A zombie of sorts.

The city at night is earie. I am always intruiged by the city sounds. Big un-marked semi-trucks pulling over and unloading or loading (sometimes both) at 2am. People constantly walking by our window. Then for a long time, no one.

I hear a lot of chatter between people. Things I am sure they do not mean for others to over hear. I sometimes think they are un aware that the window open next to them is indeed an apartment. Others are quite aware of our presence. They stop and say hello sometimes. Mostly to Little Man. Little Man (my cat) has made an array of new friends (most of whom I do not approve of). I have in result had many conversations with him letting him know that talking to strangers is not okay. He just turns his head and prances away as if to say "I'll do what I want".

It is 4am and the city is beginning to wake up. Apartment lights start to flicker on, and shadows stumble about eager to get that first cup of coffee. The road is starting to have more traffic. Cars going from here to there, and there to here. I like to sit and wonder, wonder whether they are coming or going, and from what? Maybe a late night rendevous? Perhaps. I like to wonder.

The rain in Seattle. Magnificent! It has been raining the past few days and I love it! It makes me smile. I love the rain. I especially love when I can smell the rain coming. The fresh muggy scent of the city getting a shower. I look forward to more days like this.

I am thinking of re-arranging my living room. I would like to have my computer set up in front of our windows so that I can look outside at the city as I type. So that I can paint you a description of what I see with my words the best that I can.

I like falling asleep to the sound of the city and everyone in it waking up. I like falling asleep with the sunrise peaking through the tall glassy corporate buildings.

For now I bid you goodmorning.

No comments:

Post a Comment