Wednesday, April 6, 2011

I am addicted to food.

I have an eating disorder. It is hard to admit. I used to think that people with eating disorders were only those defined by anorexia or bulimia. Skin and bones. It is not true.

Compulsive over eating, Binge eating, Bulimia and Anorexia are all the same. They are all eating disorders (they just show differently). Eating disorders describe conditions where preoccupation (obsession) with food, eating-related behaviors and weight, crowd out major aspects of life.

People who are not well educated on eating disorders assume that one can fix their problem on their own. Even I am guilty of that. Regardless of underlying causes the effects of eating disorders create vicious cycles that make it impossible to stop on your own.

I have tried so many diets. I have tried exercise. I've tried not eating. In the end nothing ever sticks long term. Here are 5 Myths that I stole off of a treatment website in regards to addiction.

Myth #1: A person can quit if they really want to.
Willpower has little to do with addiction. No amount of willpower alone can make an addict change or overcome their behavior. A critical component of the addiction recovery process is recognizing and understanding the underlying pain of addiction. Addicts must be equipped with the appropriate tools to deal with their addictive behavior and unhealthy patterns for successful long-term recovery.

Myth #2: Addicts are weak people.
Addiction is not a character flaw or a weakness – it is a disease. Addicts are powerless over their addiction – understanding this tenet is one of the first steps to addiction recovery. No one chooses to become an addict. Addiction takes a heavy toll on the addict and those who love them. The path to addiction is complicated. Many addicts understand they are hurting themselves and loved ones, but the forces of addiction are overpowering.

Myth #3: Addicts don’t seek treatment until they hit "rock bottom."
Motivation for treatment differs from person to person. Some people recognize they have a problem on their own and choose to seek treatment. Others have friends or family suggest or insist on treatment. Some people seek professional treatment due to successful interventions. Some have to enter treatment centers due to court orders. Anyone who feels they have an addiction or abuse problem should seek treatment. It is not necessary to hit “rock bottom” before seeking professional help.

Myth #4: Addicts don’t want help.
While many addicts do not want to enter treatment initially, most are thankful once treatment is over and they are in recovery. For an addict, their addiction is their best friend – their coping mechanism for all of life’s challenges. They must be taught to understand the destructiveness of their addictive behavior and find new routes to happiness. Overcoming addiction is difficult work, but recovery is achievable and deeply satisfying.

Myth #5: All treatments for addiction are the same.
No single form of treatment works for everyone. Unfortunately, there is no “one size fits all” treatment for addiction. Even people who are addicted to the same substance react differently to various forms of treatment. The most successful treatment centers create individualized programs to suit the specific needs and challenges of each client.

-----------------------------------------------

I think I need help. I really do. I have struggled with my disease for too long. I want and need to get it under control soon. I am tired of my life revolving around food, and when I am going to eat next. I am tired of feeling guilty for eating. I am tired of being embarrassed when I eat.

I guess step one is admitting. I am not sure what step 2 will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment